Saturday, March 31, 2012

Bright Smiles, Bright Future Poster-Making Contest

School is already over. My children had their Recognition Day last Monday. Surprisingly, I received a text message from my E-mann's teacher last Tuesday morning. She asked me to report to school for a short meeting because my two boys will be representing their school in a competition. I thought to myself, "A contest during summer break?!" To answer the question that arose in my mind, I immediately prepared myself to go to school, as requested. 


When I arrived in school, I saw some of the teachers chit-chatting, and maybe waiting for me as one of them waved at me as I got near them. As soon as I greeted them, one of the teachers handed me the memorandum from the Department of Education. I browsed over it as they explained to me what the contest is all about. 

Joma and E-mann were chosen to represent their school in the "Bright Smiles, Bright Future Poster-Making Contest" sponsored by Colgate-Palmolive Philippines in its bid to promote oral health awareness among school children. The contest is open to all public elementary students nationwide, aged six (6) to nine (9) years old, in partnership of Colgate-Palmolive Philippines with the Department of Education and the Health and Nutrition Council (HNC). The deadline of submission of entries will be on April 3 but we need to have the children's entries ready by Friday, March 30. 

With only three days left, I immediately informed my two boys as soon as I arrived home. I know my kids have the artistic abilities to join the contest but I doubt if they will be confident enough to compete. Moreover, they do not have the formal training in drawing or painting. What they only have is the inborn talent, which we try to develop by buying them sketch pads and art supplies, and allowing them to draw through the assistance of my husband, their personal instructor. Aside from his innate talent, I believe my husband is credible and qualified enough to teach our children how to draw and paint because he also finished a degree in Fine Arts. 

Joma was excited about the contest. He always looks forward to joining contest and competitions and he has been wanting to develop his artistic talent further. He even requested that we enroll him in an Art Class this summer. However, E-mann was not confident enough saying that he is not as good as his older brother Joma. With further prodding and encouragement, we were able to convince him that he can draw and there is no competition between him and his brother. 

The following day, the two boys and I went to the mall and bought some art supplies that they will need for the poster. To give them an idea what to draw, I asked them a simple question, "What does a smile do to you?" Joma answered he gains friends when he smiles to other people or when they smile at him while E-mann said that a smile brightens his day. From their own points of view, we discussed their answers. Then, we brainstormed how to put their answers in figures or symbols as they sketched their own ideas until the poster is completed. 

We spent the entire Thursday drawing, coloring and finishing the details of their posters and made sure that they are doing everything we discussed during our meeting. By the end of the day, the posters were ready for submission. 


The next morning, we filled out all the required forms. It was a four-page questionnaire so I have to interpret and explain the questions to them before they fill out their answers. After having a sumptuous lunch, Joma and I brought their posters in school. 


Please help us pray that my children win this competition because it means a lot to them. It is also a big achievement for them. 

18 comments:

  1. goodluck to your kids entries! hope one or both of them wins!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Goodluck to your kiddos! I hope both of them wins! Kodus to you for guiding your kids to be more productive.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Goodluck and good job on supporting your kids' creative needs!:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. My mom isn't as keen as you are when it comes to joining contests like these when we were younger but my dad. Your kids definitely got your back.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Naalala ko tuloy first time ko sumali ng contest...Quiz Bee---na parang pinilit lang kasi ayaw ng mama ko...nagcramming walang review na nangyari---kaya kulelat but the experience gain me confidence kasi mula nun sumasali na ako ng contest at I always win...the only contest na parang hindi ko kayang salihan "story telling" nacocornyhan kasi ako...di ko kayang mag emote in front of hundreds of audience...pero if its a speech hindi ko aatrasan yan or debate..

    I guess you need to show your son your 100 percent all out support...and yong ayaw sumali huwag mo nalang pilitin baka kasi ma pressure at makakaapekto pa sa kanyang ugali...

    kasi I believe that every child has his or her own talent...malay mo iba ang talent ng ikalawa mong anak...

    On the other hand looking at the art that your two sons made while reading made me shed a tear...

    just remember a lot of things in my past on how simple my life, our life as a family back then...

    ReplyDelete
  6. kids' work of art are priceless... the enthusiasm and concept can even rival some of the great minds of adults

    ReplyDelete
  7. Cute kids with their cute drawing! I admire you for encouraging your children in this kind of activity. Aside from learning, you are also boosting their confidence, and teaching them that there are achievements in every small things they do.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hello mommy Manette, nakakaproud magkaroon ng mga anak na bibo at talented. You are so blessed to have them.

    ReplyDelete
  9. wow goodluck to kids' entries! very creatively done:)

    ReplyDelete
  10. wow what a support! praying for your son!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I find it really amusing when kids draw stuff. Good luck to your kids! hope they win.

    ReplyDelete
  12. interesting post.. good luck po sa mga kids! :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love joining contests especially drawing contests!
    Hopefully your children would win :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. GOODLUCK to your kids :)
    they look so adorable.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Galing naman ng mga anak mo .Proud mommy talaga.Talent like this is inborn and should be developed.My kid(edest) is also good at drawing ,like you we always buys him painting ,sketching materials and books .Goodluck and I will pray for them .

    ReplyDelete
  16. Goodluck to the kiddos. All they need are their inborn skills and vivid imaginations to win the contest. :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Aaaw, total support from the parents! How adorable :) All the best to your kids!

    ReplyDelete